Friday 25 April 2014

April 2014

Another month has come and nearly gone….time is just flying by – a sign of age no doubt.  Oh well at least looking back to this time last year when the front garden was just being planted I can see a lot has changed.  I have only lost a few plants and that was only because of some careless NBM workmen who didn’t realise that plants like their foliage above ground and their roots in the soil.  Apart from that everything has done well – some better than others but overall it is growing to plan.
I was unsure whether to trim back the natives in the front garden in the hope that they will bush up and thicken out.  I heard on ‘Gardening Australia’ that natives are used to having their tips pruned off by animals so yesterday they all got a little trim – by me rather than a wallaby.
The back fence is now standing tall and with its new supports etc. it shouldn’t be blown over again.  We have been having veggies from the garden - red leg silver beet, kale, zucchini and the old favourite snowpeas.  We had or first corn cob last night – delicious – funny thing is that I’m not keen on the bought corn but love home grown.  It is not a huge crop this year but hopefully next year will be better.
My very large 20 year old begonia was looking really straggly and so I gave it a trim and have popped some cuttings in to see if I have any luck getting them to strike.  I have always really liked ‘hares foot’ fern, a few years ago I bought a ‘rabbit’s foot’ fern and I’m now the owner of a ‘kangaroo foot’ fern – didn’t even know one existed. 

The other major job this month which Pop helped me with was cutting back the hebe.  It has needed doing for a while but it is always home to so many little wrens and grey fantails I didn’t like to disturb them.  All seemed pretty quiet so it was pruning time.  It looks a bit sad but it will grow and it can only get better. 

My new 'kangaroo foot fern - with a dendrobium orchid sharing the basket  

the rabbits foot fern

and the original hares foot fern

my new begonia - not often found for sale - but they do well in my shade house

the un picked corn  - I wasn't sure if it was ready to pick but we had a bad storm which blew over the plant so I decided it was ready!!

some of the ingredients of last nights tea

what is left of the hebe - a few trips to the tip needed to get rid of the prunings.

the top front garden

the other side - the nearest grevillea is more than waist high.

most things have doubled in size - some three times - it has been very rewarding to see the garden taking shape and growing as planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment