Wednesday 16 April 2014

March 2014

The poor veggie patch looked very neglected on our return.  The snowpeas had not been picked and looked more like broad beans, the zucchinis had not been picked and continued to grow to the point where they are no longer their tastiest.  The tomato plants looked really sad and now had rust so it was time for action.  The tomato plants were the first to go followed closely by the snowpeas.  I gave the veggie beds a good weeding and a spruce up and suddenly it looked productive again.
The fence is still down waiting for response from the neighbours and quotes from fencers.
I managed to get a lovely pot to replant the osmanthus – I loved the look so much I bought quite a few of them.  It was impossible to match the green of the existing pots so I went for an ox blood red to compliment the green.  I’m really pleased with the result.



Another leucadendron died in the same spot (even though I had replaced the soil and done everything I could think of to make them happy) and so I decided to move the bird bath to fill the spot.

This is the only thing in the vegie garden to have done really well this season - Red Legs silver beet.  We both really enjoy the taste and it is quite colourful in the grden.

This is the before photo - my plan is to clip this plant into a cone shape.

the blue wrens are very happy with the native shrubs and the bird baths in the garden.

These pots are near the back door next to our garden swing.  I wanted a plant that was hardy, didn't mind wind and hot afternoon sun and this 'Rhaphiolepis indica' called Springtime was recommended.  It will have pink fragrant flowers in Spring.

This is the 'Osmanthus' in its new pot.  This is also on the deck near the back door.

Another collection of pots, and my favorite watering can my Sis gave me..

This is on the corner of the deck facing the river.  The plant in the large pot is another Raphiolepis - 'Snow Maiden' it will have a white flower.  The clipped circle shape is a tiny flowered fuchsia  that I moved from my big group of clipped plants.  It looked like it needed a change of soil so I did that and gave it a new outlook as well.

A dear friend gave me this succulent recently.  It is doing really well.

My new grouping  of clipped plants.  

I took out the old lavender from the back corner and replaced it with a 'Garrya elliptica'.  It should grow well in this spot.

I also planted two of these fast growing shrubs.  I will need to keep them under control as they will grow very tall give the chance - but they will provide some privacy for the back yard now that our lattice has gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment