Wednesday 2 January 2013

March


March

The next area was the bed behind the living room window.  I added blood and bone, organic compost and also wettasoil to the area.

The blood and bone caused great problems with Ruby digging and trying to eat it.  By the next morning the area looked like a war zone.  I raked it, hosed it – 10 minutes later Ruby had found another delicious area in need of digging – about a week later things had settled down and I planted this area with Leucadenrons and loripetalums in the front. 

For obvious reasons I decided to NEVER AGAIN use blood and bone in the back yard and treated the camelias and azaleas in the front garden with the rest of the blood and bone.

I re-potted my topiary plants.  They had suffered quite alot and looked like they may not survive.  New soil and some kind encouraging words – fingers crossed hoping for the best, and placed them in their new place next to the stairs going up onto the deck.  A nice spot for them with morning sun and fairly protected from the wind and in an easy spot for me to keep them trimmed and watered.

The garden under the off side deck was full of ferns.  This area is naturally wet and so the ferns propagate there and are very happy under the shadow of the deck.  The front area of this bed is in the sun in the afternoon.  It had been used as a place to toss the lawn clippings.  I cleared this area as it was a great place to have a collection of fuschias.  Pop did the hard work of moving the block steps from in front of the new side fence, to through the middle of this bed.
 
leucadendron and loripetalums under the living room window
 
 
the vege garden is growing - the lemon tree in place and also a lime tree in a pot - other pots contain rosemary, and thymes and marjoram. 
 
 
my collection of carniverous plants is growing with the addition of this lovely pitcher plant
 
This plant is a real surprise - the flower is the first thing to appear.  Comes out like a tulip and the leaves only appear once the flower has finished.  I would have pulled it out the bulbs if I had known they were there as I don't want the mess of bulbs dying and looking messy, but this one has stolen my heart and has been allowed to stay - even when it does get messy. 
 
Ruby inspects the placement of the topiaries
 
 
Pop making the steps up through the off side garden - side fence in place
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment